MAGNET SCHOOL APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2016-2017 School Year
On time Application Deadline: November 10 2016 at 5:00 PM
On-Line Application Process:
2. Click on Magnet Programs and scroll down to: Online Choice Application
3. Create a NEW PARENT ACCOUNT to access application
4. Fill out the Los Angeles Unified School District Account Registration
|| STUDENT INFORMATION
- Enter your child’s last name, first name and middle Initial.
- Enter your child’s correct address, including the apartment number, if any, city and zip code. It is the parent/legal guardian’s responsibility to verify the address.
- Enter the grade your child is in this school year and the grade he or she will be in next school year (2017-2018)
- Fill in the bubble for your child’s gender.
- If your child has ever been enrolled in a LAUSD school, please fill in the “Yes” bubble. (This does not include Independent Charter Schools).
- If your child has never been enrolled in a LAUSD school, please fill in the “No” bubble.
- Enter the name of the school your child is currently attending.
- Enter your child’s date of birth in this order: MM/DD/YYYY
- Enter your telephone number and your work, emergency or cell phone number.
- Enter the parent or legal guardian’s name and e-mail address. (The e-mail address is optional on the paper application).
|| STUDENT’S ETHNICITY/RACE
- Magnet and PWT are Court-Ordered programs that require parents to mark ONE federally identified ethnicity/race category on the application.
- Fill in the bubble next to the ethnicity or race that best describes the child for which you are applying. You may fill the “Multi-racial/Multi-ethnic” response to indicate the applicant is identified as more than one ethnicity/race but your application WILL NOT be processed unless you select one of the federally identified ethnicity/race categories for the purpose of selection.
- AMERICAN INDIAN/ALASKAN NATIVE A person having origins in the original peoples of North America, who maintains cultural identification through tribal/community affiliation.
- ASIAN A person having origins in the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent, e.g., China, India, Japan, Korea or the Philippines.
- AFRICAN AMERICAN/BLACK, NOT OF HISPANIC ORIGIN A non-Hispanic person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
- HISPANIC/LATINO A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- WHITE A non-Hispanic person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East, e.g., England, Egypt, Russia or Iran.
- NATIVE HAWAIIAN/PACIFIC ISLANDER A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Polynesia, Micronesia or Melanesia.
|| PROGRAM SELECTION
Option A | Magnet Program
Fill in the bubble in option A ONLY if you are applying for the Magnet Program.
Option B | PWT - Permits With Transportation
- This option allows you to select a Magnet Program for your child to attend. Fill in this bubble if you are ONLY interested in applying for a Magnet Program and not any other type of program.
- You have the option to list up to three different choices of Magnet Programs. Please do not list the same Magnet Program more than once.
- Please note that the second and third choices are optional.
- The Magnet Priority Points will be used for the applicant's first and optional second or third choice. If the applicant is selected to any one of their choices, the student will not be on the waiting list for the other choice(s). If not selected to their first choice applicants will be considered for their second and/or third choice. If there is no available space in any of their choices, the student will be placed on the waiting list for their first choice only.
- If the applicant does not get selected into a Magnet Program, the applicant will be placed on a waiting list for their First Choice Only. Any priority points that they may have had will be used, once they are placed on this waiting list.
- Please see pages 12-28 for the seven-digit school code and name of the Magnet. Place one number in each box and write the school name in the box to the right.
- Applicants currently attending a Magnet and selected into another Magnet will automatically be dropped from current Magnet program.
Fill in the bubble in option B if you are applying for the Permits With Transportation (PWT) program. Once students are accepted into the PWT program, they are allowed to matriculate to the next school level (elementary to middle or middle to high) without filling out a new application, providing that space continues to be available. Please visit: eChoices.lausd.net or call (213) 241-6572 to find out if you are eligible.
Select Magnet Schools/Centers.
Check Permits With Transportation (PWT) Program Eligibility.
|| SIBLING INFORMATION FOR MAGNET OR PWT
If this applicant has a brother or sister currently enrolled in the same Magnet or PWT school for which he/she is applying and the sibling will be continuing next year, please fill in the sibling’s last name, first name, middle initial and birth date. Points are assigned if the sibling is attending the applicant’s 1st choice magnet program. Siblings must reside at the same address at the time of application. It is the parent’s responsibility to verify that the siblings have the same address on file in the District computer system at the current LAUSD school of attendance by the application deadline.
|| INFORMATION SHARING
Depending on seat availability at the particular Magnet Program(s) you have selected, your child may be
placed on a waiting list for the 2017-2018 school year. Other Magnet programs of possible interest to you
may have space available for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Fill in the “yes” bubble if you want to share your child’s information.
|| SIGNATURE OF PARENT/LEGAL GUARDIAN
- Sign your name and write the date in the box provided to verify that all information submitted on the application is correct. If the applicant is selected, your signature authorizes the transfer of student records to the Magnet or PWT school. This application must be signed in black or blue ink.
- Falsification of information will result in the applicant’s removal from the program. Double-check your information. It is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian to complete the application correctly.
- Your signature on the application signifies that you have read and understood the Choices Application Guidelines and Instructions.
Please contact Student Integration Services at (213) 241-4177 if you have any questions. Student Integration Services will be closed from December 26, 2016 to January 2, 2017.
5. Fill-out Application, Verify Information is Correct and Submit Application.
(For parents that do not have internet access, applications are available in our Magnet Office)